The Meson Build system
Meson is an open source build system meant to be both extremely fast, and, even more importantly, as user friendly as possible.
The main design point of Meson is that every moment a developer spends writing or debugging build definitions is a second wasted. So is every second spent waiting for the build system to actually start compiling code.
- multiplatform support for Linux, macOS, Windows, GCC, Clang, Visual Studio and others
- supported languages include C, C++, D, Fortran, Java, Rust
- build definitions in a very readable and user friendly non-Turing complete DSL
- cross compilation for many operating systems as well as bare metal
- optimized for extremely fast full and incremental builds without sacrificing correctness
- built-in multiplatform dependency provider that works together with distro packages
Quickstart for beginners
Are you an absolute beginner when it comes to programming? No worries, read this beginner guide to get started.
There are two main methods of connecting with other Meson developers. The first one is the mailing list, which is hosted at Google Groups.
The second way is via IRC. The channel to use is
Many projects are using Meson and they're a great resource for learning what to (and what not to!) do when converting existing projects to Meson.
A short list of Meson users can be found here but there are many more. We would love to hear about your success stories too and how things could be improved too!
You do not need to sign a CLA to contribute to Meson.
The results of the search are